Make your own flavorful dry rub and BBQ sauce with this pulled pork recipe! Mouthful of boldly sweet, salty, and spicy juice ooze out of moist and tender shreds of pulled pork. Truly irresistible! Perfect with sandwiches, wraps, rice, or ANYTHING really.
Scroll down for How to Make This Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork Recipe video.
If you’re a fellow Instant Pot lover (high five!), add this BBQ pulled pork recipe to your Instant Pot recipes collection! If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you may want to check out the 10 Reasons Why We Bought the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. You won’t regret it. 😉
As we were doing our favorite chore of the week – grocery shopping, we went past huge chunks and chunks of pork shoulder picnic on sale. Then, we immediately looked at each other eye to eye and screamed PULLED PORK! Well, no…ya…we stayed composed…I think we did…we’re not THAT crazy really, at least not for a piece of pork, hmm…actually it depends.
Anyway, pulled pork is quite popular in Mexican, American, and Ukrainian cuisines. It’s so delicious when they’re made right. Juicy, moist, tender, and screaming out with sweet plus spicy flavors! Oh, they’re just so perfect with sandwiches, burgers, wraps, on rice, or on nachos. mmMMmm…How else do you enjoy your pulled pork? Tell me!!
When it usually takes hours to cook pulled pork in slow cookers, it took us less than an hour and a half from start to finish using our Instant Pot.
Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork Recipe Tips
When you place the pork into the Instant Pot for cooking, keep the skin and fat cap facing up. This will allow the fat to melt and drip onto the meat during the cooking process, which will protect the pork from drying out. The downside to this is that the BBQ sauce will become oily. However, you may use a fat separator to separate the oil from the BBQ sauce before reducing the sauce.
If you want a bit more kick on the flavors, use the saute function to saute the onion and garlic cloves before mixing them into the BBQ Sauce.
The BBQ pulled pork can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 – 5 days.
Hey! If you want some fun playing X-Men, check out these Bear Paws Pulled Pork Shredder Claws. It has over 2100 customer reviews on Amazon and people LOVE it. psst..they even come in pink! 😛
Watch How To Make This Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork Recipe:
Can’t see the cooking video? Watch it here.
Related Recipe: BBQ Pulled Pork English Muffin
Craving more? Subscribe to Nom Recipes to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox. Stay in touch with us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Youtube for our latest updates.
More Pressure Cooker Recipes: Pressure Cooker Recipes
- 4 pounds pork shoulder picnic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup water
- ⅛ cup maple syrup
- ⅛ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Clean pork shoulder picnic with cold water and pat dry thoroughly
- Cut pork shoulder picnic into smaller pieces to let them absorb more flavors
- Pack Dry Rub onto pork shoulder picnic, let it sit for 30 minutes
- Press Sauté button on instant pot, wait for it to be heated up
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil before searing each batch of pork
- Sear and brown surfaces of each pork shoulder picnic piece (do not overcrowd the pot)
- Remove all pork from Instant Pot
- Add half of the BBQ Sauce
- Deglaze by scrubbing the bottom of the pot (see notes), add remaining BBQ Sauce.
- Add all pork, close the Instant Pot lid, press Manual button, cook at high pressure for 55 minutes
- Press Cancel button after it has changed to keep warm, wait for it to natural release
- Take out the extremely tender pork shoulder picnic
- Use two forks, hands, or Bear Paws Pulled Pork Shredder Claws to shred the meat
- Use a fat separator to separate the fat and BBQ Sauce
- Reduce BBQ Sauce to your desired thickness, TASTE, add more brown sugar or salt to taste
- Combine BBQ sauce and the pulled pork together, then enjoy!
Keep the pork's skin and fat cap facing up when cooking in Instant Pot. This will allow the fat to melt and drip onto the meat during the cooking process and protect the pork from drying out.
Use saute function to saute onion and garlic cloves before mixing them into the BBQ Sauce for more flavors.
The BBQ pulled pork can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 - 5 days.